Thursday, January 3, 2008

Film Review: "Wrong Turn 2: Dead End" (A-)


You know, a lot of people I know that saw "Wrong Turn" didn't like it. I did, although the idea of a sequel made me nervous. Sequels, with the exception of very few, tend to be pretty bad (in my opinion). But, you know what? I really liked "Wrong Turn 2: Dead End."

The thing about this movie is that it doesn't take itself seriously. It's fun and inventive, with some great gore and I found it fairly witty. It mocks how American media seems to be one gigantic reality TV show by taking it to an extreme and ... well, having most everyone die in some horrible (for me, fun) ways. The gore is deliciously over the top. I especially loved the first kill where the girl was cut entirely half.

What's also great about this movie is that it's a direct to DVD movie that doesn't suck. I wish films like this could get theatrical releases, but not many people nowadays have such great appreciation as I do for throwback films to the 70s and 80s (aka when horror films were genuinely fun to watch and you could tell they were a labor of laughter and love). Also, you don't generally expect the acting in a straight to DVD movie to be of a good caliber, but this one is a surprising exception. Henry Rollins is a comic genius - he had me smiling throughout the movie.

Basically, if you're looking for a genuinely entertaining horror film that really doesn't let up or disappoint, this one is for you. If you want to make a night of it, grab five or six of your favorite friends that have a brain and add in some "Hatchet" and "Slither" and you've got yourself one fucking awesome party/mini-marathon.

No comments: