Monday, February 18, 2008

Nightmare Remake?

Surely there is nothing in the horror world that is generating as much controversy and forum arguments other than whether or not remaking "Nightmare on Elm Street" is a good idea. Especially with the recent Rob Zombie remake of "Halloween," this has me shaking in my boots a little bit (for proper explanation of why I don't like the remake, read the review I'll write ... later).

Mr. Disgusting over at B-D wrote down a few ideas why he thinks the remake is something to be excited about. I have to say - I agree with most, if not all, of them. Particularly the bit about wanting to see a prequel of sorts, because I always wanted someone to explore that. Especially since it can be rightfully explored, as opposed to creating a background that doesn't - shouldn't - be created. If my allusion to Rob Zombie's version of Michael Myers isn't that obvious to you, come visit me in Austin so I can beat you with a stick.

My hesitation is exactly like the hesitation I had before the remake of "Halloween" came out. "Nightmare on Elm Street" is another favorite of mine - scared the crap out of me when I was little - so if this gets botched, I'm going to be more than a little upset. I had high hopes for other remakes and have learned not to let a director's name get me too excited. I just don't want the prequel to be explored and be magnificent and then the movie to become a shot-for-shot remake. There's no point in that. There are reasons why the "Dawn of the Dead" remake was great, whereas "The Omen" remake was completely pointless and a waste of money. Also, I'm not sure that Michael Bay producing is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm leaning towards bad.

But, you know what? It's very hard not to get excited when you think about the prospect of more Freddy, who has always been one of my favorite monsters. Given the right casting, Freddy could be just as creepy and sick as Robert Englund's portrayal of him ... although you never can beat the original. Here's hoping for a great cameo. Key term in all of this, however, is GIVEN THE RIGHT CASTING. It'll be nice to see someone else's take (within certain parameters, anyway). Mr. Disgusting also raises a good point that this version will undoubtedly be gorgeous, which excites me to no end.

So I remain cautious, but I am going to keep my eye out for a nice red and green striped sweater so that when the day comes ... I will most definitely be in style.



Note: Head on over to B-D, because they also have an interview with Robert Englund regarding the remake.

No comments: